Monday, May 4, 2009

Early May Update

Lauren and I haven't been able to do much work to the house the last few weeks because I was working on a project (which was then cut in half and I was on the losing end) and we were busy on weekends.



Last weekend, we went with our friend Richard and several other young adults to work build a shed on a property for Habitat for Humanity. Unfortunately, the economy is affecting them too, so their projects are limited to corporate projects and one house that is being worked on by ministers from a variety of denominations, including our own associate pastor. The shed was actually fairly easy to construct, and I think that we should be able to do one of our own as long as we have the money and manpower to get it finished.



This past weekend, we went on the youth beach retreat and served as counselors. It was a blast, but I got very sunburned and spent all of today in bed recovering. Our friend Kerry and I slept on couches in the living room of the rental house because of a lack of space in bedrooms, so our sleep was short and not really all that restful. However, we all had a lot of fun and a lot of the kids made new friends. The waves were pretty intense, the roughest I've ever seen. I ended up with a sizeable headache Saturday night because I spent the entire day in the water with ten foot waves pounding me in the head because they were breaking at random points in the water. Still, it was some of the best body-surfing I've ever seen and I can't wait to go back.



I still don't have a project to work on, but I'll be going around this week to law firms to see if they're hiring, plus a friend tipped me off to an upcoming project for an actual law firm in Charlotte starting soon, and hopefully I'll get staffed on that. I've heard that the job market is starting to turn around, but I think I'll probably have to wait in line behind the attorneys who were laid off in the last six months. At any rate, things are starting to look better and hopefully that will mean I get to start practicing soon.

No comments: